An Alternative GOP DebateJanuary 30, 2016
Most Republican presidential hopefuls gathered Thursday night for their last debate before the first votes are cast in Iowa. With business mogul (and racist demagogue) Donald Trump skipping the debate, it was already a better discussion than normal. However, there were still a lot of problematic statements, especially since most of the candidates apparently think stirring up hate and fear is the way to win.
As the candidates debated in Des Moines, the capital of Iowa, voters across the Hawkeye State considered which candidate to vote. The process on Monday - which I explained in an EthicsDaily.com video - could help decide who will move into the White House next January.
As with most debates by both parties, I offered a running commentary on Twitter. If you're interested in (sometimes) insightful commentary, follow me. Or, if you aren't on Twitter, you can read my most recent tweets on the right sidebar of this website.
- "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God." Matthew 5:9 #GOPDebate
- "I tell you, love your enemies & pray for those who persecute you." Matthew 5:44 #GOPDebate
- "If your enemy is hungry, give him food to eat; if he is thirsty, give him water to drink." Proverbs 25:21 #GOPDebate
- "They will beat their swords into plowshares & their spears into pruning hooks." Isaiah 2:4 #GOPDebate
- “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye & pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?" Matthew 7:3 #GOPDebate
- "Turn from evil & do good; seek peace & pursue it." Psalm 34:14 #GOPDebate
- "There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear" 1 John 4:18 #GOPDebate
- "Love your neighbor as yourself." Luke 10:27 #GOPDebate
- "Whoever oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God." Proverbs 14:31 #GOPDebate
- "wide is the gate & broad is the road that leads to destruction & many enter through it." Matthew 7:13 #GOPDebate
- "let your yes be yes, & your no, no; so that you may not fall under judgment." James 5:12 #GOPDebate
- "The land must not be permanently sold because the land is mine. You are just immigrants & foreign guests of mine." Lev. 25:23 #GOPDebate
- "Cursed is anyone who obstructs the legal rights of immigrants, orphans, or widows." Deuteronomy 27:19 #GOPDebate
- "The important people ... oppressed the poor & mistreated the immigrant. They’ve oppressed & denied justice." Ezekiel 22:29 #GOPDebate
- "Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves." Romans 12:9 #GOPDebate
- "Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up cause of the fatherless; plead case of the widow." Isaiah 1:17 #GOPDebate
- "Do not repay anyone evil for evil. ... Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good." Romans 12:17,21 #GOPDebate
- "I tell you that anyone who is angry with a brother or sister will be subject to judgment." Matthew 5:22 #GOPDebate
- "Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position." Romans 12:16 #GOPDebate
- "Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them." Matthew 6:1 #GOPDebate
- "Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy." Mathew 5:7 #GOPDebate
- "Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love." 1 John 4:8 #GOPDebate
- "It is written," he said to them, "'My house will be a house of prayer’; but you have made it 'a den of robbers.'" Luke 19:46 #GOPDebate
- "Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth." Matthew 5:5 #GOPDebate
- "You cannot serve both God & money." Matthew 6:24 #GOPDebate
- "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths & vermin destroy, & where thieves break in and steal." Matt. 6:19 #GOPDebate
- Jesus said: "You [my followers, not a nation] are the light of the world." Matthew 5:14 #GOPDebate
- "Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights." Isaiah 10:1-2 #GOPDebate
It's seems pretty clear Jesus and the prophets wouldn't poll well in Iowa.