Lamenting, Lawsuits, Church-State Playground & MoreJanuary 11, 2017
The January 2017 issue of Word&Way is my first issue as editor. It was exciting to see the issue come together - and more exciting to see it show up in print (with my name on the masthead). Here are the pieces I wrote for the issue:
- My editorial, A Letter from the Editor, introduces myself and why I value Word&Way.
- The cover package focuses on "learning to lament." The first article, Church as a Place for Lament, considers the need of churches to help people express grief. The second article, Sing a Song of Lament, explores the lack of laments in our worship today compared to the Psalms.
- An article, Supreme Court to Hear Church-State Case from Missouri, looks at an important religious liberty court case. I conducted an interview with Holly Hollman of the Baptist Joint Committee for Religious Liberty to explore the case in greater detail.
- An article, MBC Seeks Ruling against Home, University, covers the latest updates on the ongoing litigation by the Missouri Baptist Convention.
- An article on Antioch Baptist Church near Hannibal, Mo., burning down.
- A column by Doyle Sager: Less Fake, More Real.
- A column by Wade Paris: When I Am Afraid.
- A column by Ken Satterfield: Gadget Resolutions to Start Your Year
- And much more that can only be read in the print edition.